I was raised on Blondie, Elvis Costello, Cat Stevens and Laura Nyro. My parents have an audio recording of me declaring “I have to poopy” in the middle of my brilliant 2-year-old Patti Smith cover. I idolized Joan Jett long before Kristen Stewart was born.
There were no kiddie songs in my house growing up. And GD it, that crap wasn’t going to play under my roof either. My kids have no idea who the Wiggles are. The Fresh Beat Band? As relevant in my house as calculus. Yo Gabba Gabba? We say HELL NO Gabba Gabba.
Now, if you are thinking we don’t enjoy a good dance party in our house, you would be sorely mistaken. The four of us “rock out” every weekend morning over pancakes. Even without daddy, most nights feature more pitchy notes and flailing limbs than a bachelorette party at karaoke. We love popular music.
So what’s on our playlist?
1. CRJ, of course. Call Me Maybe? On heavy rotation. We even use the Harvard Baseball dance moves.
2. “Paris” by Jay-Z and Kayne West. Sure, Jay and the future Mr. Kardashian 3.0 played it ELEVEN times at their last concert, but we’ve got them beat most nights. Thankfully the only words Gavin can repeat clearly are “what’d she order? Fish filet.”
3. “Everything at Once” by Lenka. One day I will have to get video of my 15-month-old singing all the “ahhhhhhhh” parts. It might* be the cutest thing ever.
(*not yet confirmed by independent sources).
4. “Brokenhearted” by Karmin. Alison Brie’s face, Gwen Stefani’s style and Katy Perry’s voice wrapped into one makes this chick a winner in our house.
5. “Give Me All Your Luvin” by Madonna, MIA and Nikki Minaj. I’m pretty sure this is only popular in our house because it totally sounds like Tilly and the Wall on Sesame Street.